Whitestone Garden ~
A detached strip of Hampstead Heath at the junction of Heath Street and Upper Terrace, Hamspstead, London NW3
750 square metre park, parented by City Of London
Whitestone Garden is connected to Hampstead Heath and forms the last formal garden of the village of Hampstead before the large wild expanse of heathland.
The garden was designed as a place of rest and relaxation for the people of Hampstead within the historic village itself and attracts visitors all year around to sit and relax in the beautiful surroundings away from the bustling streets.
In early March 2001, a derelict sliver of land at the top of Heath Street in Hampstead was selected as the site of the first special project to be completed by Heath Hands volunteers, under the supervision of the Heath Conservation Unit.
The sign names Christine Mackenzie Cohen, OBE, Chairman of the Hampstead Heath Management Committee ( 1998 - 2003 ), in partnership with Roberta (Bobby) de Joia, the Founding Chair of Heath Hands ( 1993 - 2003 ). The wall is actually part of an operative air duct from the Northern Line tube, between Golders Green and Hampstead stations!
This plot is a tiny part (just 750 square meters) of the original parcel of land acquired in 1871 for Hampstead Heath and had housed public conveniences, which were demolished in the 1990s.
By the summer of 2003 the Heath Hands' work was complete.
Sixty people, including several from the Camden Society for People with Learning Disabilities, had given more than 660 hours of voluntary work to reclaim the area for public use, transforming it into a pleasant shady garden oasis.
The Garden was opened by Dr. Simon Thurley, Chief Executive of English Heritage on the 24th of July, 2003
The continuing maintenance of Whitestone Garden is part of the regular Heath Hands work programme.
<with thanks to Loretta "Heath Hands">