Served by bus routes 143 (Brent Cross - Archway), 210 (Brent Cross - Finsbury Park), 271 (Highgate - Moorgate) and W5 (Archway - Harringay) Nearest Tube = Archway (Northern Line)
WATERLOW PARK ~
Is situated in the south of Highgate Village, and is composed of twenty nine acres of beautifully conserved wilder and more cultivated areas, such as rose and sensory gardens, three lakes, walkways and borders, shrubberies and lawns.
At its eastern side is Lauderdale House with its terraces, unusual trees and bushes and in summer there is a rainbow of colour from the bedded flowers and plants.
Lauderdale House was owned by Sir Sydney Waterlow, who donated the house to the public in 1882 and The Park in 1889 as a "garden for the gardenless".
The House's history is much older (1582) and it is reputed that Nell Gwyn lived there briefly in 1670.
John Wesley certainly preached there in 1782.
In 1871, Sir Sydney had already combined the grounds of Andrew Marvell’s cottage ( a poet in the seventeenth century), Elm Court, Hertford House and Lauderdale House to create a single park.
The author is very impressed by how much character and charm is to be found in this Park and he was impressed by the "lived and used in" feel of the whole area, balanced wonderfully with the wilder parts.
There are tennis courts and playground areas and both children and adults will find the amenities of The Waterlow Park Centre particularly useful.
With the help of lottery funds, Camden Council made restoration and improvements in 2005 and "The Friends of Waterlow Park" has a large role in the management of The Park.
There are SIX main gates into Waterlow Park, as well as access via Lauderdale House (Highgate Hill), as can be seen on the map.
These are Highgate High Street, St. Joseph's Church Gate (at the top of Dartmouth Park Hill), Dartmouth Park Hill Lodge Gate, Lower Dartmouth Park Hill, Swains Lane Lodge Gate, and Upper Swains Lane Gate.
Outside the north of The Park is Fairseat House, housing Channing School For Girls.
(It was the former home of Sir Sydney Waterlow and his statue can be seen in The Park, holding a key, which is said to be the key of the garden he offered to the public.)
St. Joseph's Church is just across Dartmouth Park Hill, at The Park's eastern side and the famous Highgate Cemetry at the west and south-west side.
The Whittington Hospital is to the south eastern side.
Sir Sydney Hedley Waterlow 1st Baronet, KCVO (1822 –1906) was an English philanthropist and politician.
Apprenticed as a stationer and printer in the family firm of Waterlow & Sons Ltd, he became director of the Union Bank of London.
In 1857, his political career started as a councillor (he introduced telegraph links between police stations).
In 1863 he became an alderman chairman of the philanthropic housing company, "The Improved Industrial Dwellings Company", and he worked for many other charities.
He was Lord Mayor of London,1872-73 and was made a baronet.
He was MP for Dumfriesshire (1868-1869), Maidstone (1874-1880) and Gravesend (1880-1885).