THE GROVE ~
Located at the junction of West Hill and South Grove, this expensive strip is set back from the reservoir.
Nos 1 and 2 formed the Mrs. Gallatly ladies' school, The Grove, 1885/6.
No. 2 was also the home of famous actress, Gladys Cooper (1888-
Samuel Taylor Coleridge lived at No. 3 (see separate page)
Once called Highgate Green, it then became Pemberton Row, in the mid 17th century.
The Grove stretches from the top of West Hill to Hampstead Lanwe.
The first six houses have Tudor origins and their gardens are on two levels.
Roger Fry was born at number 6, John Drinkwater lived at number 9.
(Sir Roger Fry (1866-
Highgate Green (the Grove) was a large open space between the top of the West Hill and the High Street, and seems to have been the place for the recognised revels of the village.
Highgate Green was surrounded by elm trees of great size and beauty. These houses were first called Pemberton Row, in honour of Sir Francis Pemberton, who resided in the most northerly of them.
Afterwards, and until the late nineteenth century, it was called Quality Walk.
It was well known as a famous promenade on Sunday morning after service, and attracted numerous visitors.
An account of an old fair that used to be held on the Green:-