Sandy Road ~
Sandy Road is a wide unpaved track that stretches between The Spaniards Road (opposite Mount Tyndal) in the east and West Heath Road, in the west.
From the Spaniards Road, it bisects Sandy Heath and meets North End Way (by The Old Bull And Bush public house) and then continues again, just slightly north, bisecting West Heath until it meets West Heath Road in the west.
The half of Sandy Road that commences at the Spaniards Road has been known as "Rotten Row".
From North End Way, Sandy Road passes the Golders Hill Park, on its right, where three of The Park's gates are to be found in succession and The Band Stand can be clearly seen also.
Sandy Road then meets the edge of The Leg-
Sandy Road was sometimes known as Hankins's folly.
This was due to work carried out under Thomas Hankins, surveyor of the highways 1823-
The pond was marked simply as a reservoir in 1891, although already known by its modern name, Leg-
Sandy Road was closed to motor traffic in 1924 and thereafter formed two bridle paths.
The main roads across the old heath, Spaniard's and North End roads, were kept free of public transport services until 1922.
As stated, Sandy Road was a true road—before the Heath became a public trust in 1872 and Platt’s Farm was developed into The Crofts in the 1890s.
Sandy Road was the continuation of Platt’s Lane, linking Child’s Hill to North End and Spaniard’s Road.
For centuries, this was probably the main route for carrying produce from the surrounding farmland (including Wyldes Farm) to market in London, via the Roman-
The "Leg o’ Mutton" pond is man made and was dug in 1816 as part of a relief program for unemployed laborers during the depression that followed the Napoleonic Wars.
Sandy Road also was raised and improved as part of the same relief effort.
The pond is naturally maintained, however, filled by two spring-
During the Nineteenth Century, the pond was popular for summer bathing and angling (though one wonders from whence came the fish).??