Pitt's Garden ~
Is west of Spaniards Road and located in North End Avenue.
(This was once a stretch of ancient road from St Albans to London)
The original house was owned and developed in the 1760s by a Charles Dingley.
Dingley was politically ambitious and converted the house into a mansion.
It was here that Pitt, the elder, an English Prime Minister(1708 -
The LCC acquired the garden in 1954.
The mansion was known at various dates as North End House, Wildwoods and then Pitt House.
It was demolished in 1952.
All that now remains is the large unkempt garden, some walling and a classical archway.
Pitt's House was acquired in 1954.
The remaining Wall and Archway to The Gardens can be seen in the slides below: