Inverforth House ~
Gurney Hoare is regarded as the fellow who saved the Heath in the 1850s and 1860s.
He and his wife Caroline lived at The Hill, a large Georgian house off North End Way, the site now occupied by Inverforth House.
They lived there during the long struggle for The Heath.
In 1896 his son, Sir Samuel Hoare, sold it to George Fisher, who rebuilt the house and moved his family in.
In 1904 Fisher lost his fortune, relocated his family to Streatham and sold the house to William H. Lever.
Sir Ronald Aylmer Fisher, George Fisher's son, was a famous statistician and geneticist and lived at The House from 1896-
The Hill Garden, situated beyond Inverforth Close, once belonging to a Mrs Lessingham's Heath Lodge, was bought by William Lever, the soap millionaire, (later Lord Leverhulme) who demolished Heath Lodge.
He converted the house into a large Edwardian mansion.
He made a bridge between his two properties.
There is a rumour that this bridge was built of such a length that Lever could consume one cigar by the time he had walked its length!
In 1925 the whole estate was bought by Lord Inverforth (1865-
Lord Inverforth bequeathed it to Manor House Hospital in 1955.
The part of the gardens belonging to the old Heath Lodge, was opened to the public in1963.