Sandgate, one of the Anglo-
About 1730 a cutting was made through The Heath, west of the old route, creating the modern North End Way (formerly Road), a more direct route to Hendon.
There was modest growth during the early 18th century, with a few country houses appearing among the cottages.
The estate had been created in the 1760s by Charles Dingley (He had converted his own house in North End as a mansion for Pitt, the elder.)
The last owner was Sir Spencer Wells, after whose death in 1897, the estate was put up for auction.
Thomas Barratt,chairman of A & F Pears, the soap factory managed to obtain it.
He resold it to a committee of guarantors at same price he bought it, £3,800 and thence it was opened to the public in December 1898.
It was the first public park in Hendon and the grounds of Golders Hill House were bought by the L.C.C. in 1899.
Building after 1945 was discreet and North End kept its quiet village atmosphere in the 1980s.
The Old Bull and Bush, although largely rebuilt in the 1920s, retained two 18th-
At Spaniard's End the Firs was divided in the 1950s into three houses called the White House, the Chantry, and Casa Maria, the third being formed from the billiard room.
The outbuildings were converted into other dwellings.
The greatest change has been in North End Way, in the area once called Littleworth.
It then continues from across North End, past Sandy Heath ponds and out (as Sandy Road) opposite Mount Tyndal at The Spaniards Road.
(The path is currently a horse ride across Sandy Heath. It is about 450 m long. It varies in width, with the narrowest parts being about 2.5 m wide. The surface is variable, being poor by the entrance to Spaniards Road; however, most of the path has a compressed grit surface which is suitable for cycle riding. The last section up to the small road North End is rather steep.)