HISTORICAL SUMMARY OFHAMPSTEAD HEATH
Early 18th century
Hampstead becomes a spa and a township arises South of the Heath.
Early 19th century
Spa days are only short lived and it becomes an increasingly popular place for residence.
Lord of the Manor (Sir Thomas Maryon Wilson) attempts to sell or build on parts of the Heath much to public disapproval. His efforts, which were intermittent over 40 years mostly failed.
Sir Thomas tried in vain to turn the Heath into parkland. He also built a brickworks and increased extraction of sand and gravel from the Heath, an old, lucrative but environmentally unfriendly practice.
Hampstead Heath station opens and the Heath becomes more accessible to the London population.
Sir Thomas dies.
Sir Thomas’ brother, Sir John, having inherited the estate, agrees to sell his rights over the Heath in the Hampstead Heath Act.
The Heath finally becomes public property when the Metropolitan Board of Works (MBW) takes possession of 240 acres of land and stops sand extraction on the Heath.
Thanks largely to the efforts of the philanthropic Baroness Burdett-
London County Council (LCC) is formed and takes over responsibility for the Heath, reviving fears that it might be turned into a municipal park.
There is a major addition to the Heath with the purchase of the Hampstead Heath Extension with both public and private funding, to counter the threat of building which had arisen due to the planning of a new tube station at Golders Green.
LCC acquires Paddock.
The house and estate of Kenwood, for generations the London seat of the Earl of Mansfield, becomes public property.
During World War II, sand is extracted from the Heath to fill sand bags and the pits later filled with rubble from bombed sites in London. Oil from a lorry part kills many trees and bren gun carriers kill the last heather plants on Sandy Heath (now reinstated).
LCC adds the gardens of war-
LCC and Hampstead Council acquire part of Pitt House grounds.
LCC acquires Hill Garden.
Greater London Council (GLR), LCC’s successor, is abolished. A New London Residnary Body takes temporary control of the Heath, excluding the Kenwood Estate, which is transferred to English Heritage.
Corporation of London assumes responsibility for the Heath and maintenance of Kenwood
The Heath became public property in 1871
LCC acquired 2 bombed sites at Heath Brow in 1948 and 1951, becoming part of the Heath.